Monday, March 8, 2010

impressioniste

Instead of my concentration, I am currently working on a project for my french class. We were supposed to pick an impressionist or post impressionist artist and reproduce a painting of theirs with oil pastels. I'm not much one for copying works, and though I would've liked to work with oil pastels, I decided to just do a painting in an artist's style.
I chose Berthe Morisot because all the other artists I recognized were taken, and I figured, why not learn about a new artist... Her work is really beautiful! I actually really like this impressionist painter stuff even if it seems all traditional and boring. They really were good at what they did.the cradle. I think her most famous one.
This is one of my favorites of hers.

from what I can gather, what makes the impressionist style the impressionist style is that they have very loose, painterly brush strokes, but they aren't careless. There is a lot of light in their paintings and very little black, so everything seems very angelic and serene. I think there is a lot to be learned about their use of color: they were brave with them and chose vibrant over what they actually saw, or maybe they did see them.
I'm painting Melis and a fish, and I'm making progress nicely, but it is not in any shape to be photographed right now.

1 comment:

Ms. Melis said...

although the clothing and the objects surrounding the figures are pretty blurry for most of them, if you look at their faces, they are not really that blurry. just saying.