Thursday, February 18, 2010

concentration critique!

My concentration is exploring the beauty of fish that we eat, regardless of whether or not you find them delicious or if you think they smell altogether too 'fishy'. Whether or not they are alive or dead, fish have a really natural and elegant movement to their shapes, and I'm trying to explore that idea in a painting.

This one is pretty awful I hate it a lot I did it for my french class after reading the Stranger by Camus, and it illustrated the theme I picked pretty well, but ...ugh. It's too concrete and doesn't even look that cool. lame. when i put it up with all my other pieces that i have so far, it's just kind of blah and doesn't flow as well with the others. I don't think it's really a problem with the 'elements' or 'principles' of art, it's just conceptually lame and doesn't fit.


This one I like a lot more. The colors and the whole feel is very different, so I might paint over the previous one that would show more of a "bridge" between the first few and this one. I'm planning on taking this abstract thing further and maybe pushing it more. I want the fish to feel more loose and flowy than they have been. I think the movement idea is going to become more prominent in the next paintings I do, and I think that the rhythm of the fish and their shapes contribute to that.

5 comments:

Amyyy :) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amyyy :) said...

So yeah...this is my second time commenting since my first time was absolute fail.

I wanted to tell you that this post put me in an oddly happy mood lol. Have fun with your fish Karen :)

Lindsay said...

Karen, you're weird. I had a completely different reaction. I think that the color scheme in both of them are pretty much the same. Your first piece Is my favorite out of all your concentration pieces so far. I feel like I want more definition in the second painting since there is more in the first. The second piece has very loose and free brush strokes, but I want a little bit more added to the fish. Just enough to not take away from the energy the brush strokes you have created. I don't know if that made sense.

Cecci said...

The first one to me although technically it;s is very interesting and good i feel is static, i want more movement because they are fish!!! however i do like the layers you have and how it looks deep and ongoing.

The second is wonderful i love how the brush strokes are strong and overpower the fish, it reminds me of salmon swimming upstream there is such a story and struggle with the movement that makes the painting really nice . great job :)

Travis Art Blog said...

Hey I really like this new direction youre going too. I think it sorta embodies the idea of fish instead of portraying fish literally like in your other pieces. it’s a great idea and I think it’ll be really impressive to see your ceoncentration as a whole. I don’t know whether you were trying to have the fish fighting through rapids or whether that was just a way to show movement, but I kind of like how I’m not sure and it really works.

The piece on top is definetly another piece like your other ones, and I think it’s a great idea to go over it and show how you got from there to your new piece developmentally.